magnetometer calibration crazyflie

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
almou
Beginner

magnetometer calibration crazyflie

Post by almou »

hey every one i hope you are all doing fine
i am now working with the crazyflie 1.0 (10 DOF) but i am facing two problemes wich i hope you can help me with theme .
first problem is that i am enable to install the crazyflie Cfclient with ubuntu, i followed the wiki in the bitcraze web site but i couldn't launch the GUI application (or i just didn't know how).
my second problem is that my nano drone is not calibrated when i give it a command just in the z axes by ROS it moves in the two other axes so i followed the magnetometer calibration process in (https://github.com/ak1394/crazyflie-mag ... alibration ) but i didn't really know how to do it .
thanks for your help in advanced ;) ;) ;) ;)
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: magnetometer calibration crazyflie

Post by arnaud »

Hi,

For the client, what is the error message you are getting when launching the client?

For the calibration, as far as I can remember the magnetometer is not used by default so calibrating it will not help. Also the magnetometer only helps with the YAW axis, not roll/pitch (ie. X/Y movements).

Without added positioning system the Crazyflie will drift in position, this is because there is no sensor in the Crazyflie capable of measuring its position in the room so the position cannot be controlled. We have made a short video showing what to expect when you do not control roll/pitch: https://www.bitcraze.io/getting-started ... -0/#flying (a bit lower in the page).
almou
Beginner

Post by almou »

Thanks first.
For the position, i have made a system to command the crazyflie 1.0 by cameras. the frame rate of those cameras is 15 fps but i think is around 7 in reel, i think that the cameras can not keep track with the quad-rotor dynamic ?
what do you think??
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Using the Kalman filter in Crazyflie 2.0, there would be no problem sending an updated position at 5Hz. However Crazyflie 1.0 cannot run the kalman filter so it might be a bit more challenging.

Are you running a position control loop in ROS?
almou
Beginner

Post by almou »

Yes, i build 3 control PID (x,y,z) with Ros, with cmd_vel as output of my controller pid, and current and desired 3d position as an input, in the beginning the quadrotor was fixed in a way that it can only moves in the z axis (vertical translation) in this case i was able to successfully control it to reach the desired point. but when i let it free to move in all direction and i was enable to control it . it had a wired behavior it went in all direction with a random way and i couldn't control it even in the z axes.
thanks