PS4 controller directly controls crazyflie

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
kenjichanhkg
Beginner

PS4 controller directly controls crazyflie

Post by kenjichanhkg »

If I'm not wrong, now we can control crazyfile with these options:
1) gamepad controller via USB/bluetooth -> cf client UI via 2.4G radio -> crazyfile
2) mobile via bluetooth -> crazyfile

But how about 3rd option?
3) gamepad controller via bluetooth/radio -> crazyfile

Do you think it's possible that I could modify the firmware, so that the crazyfile accepts communication directly from e.g. PS4 controller? (if I know how to pair them ^.^)

Thanks!
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: PS4 controller directly controls crazyflie

Post by arnaud »

Hi,

Not from a PS4 gamepad unfortunatly. You need a gamepad that is bluetooth low energy, which is very different from the regular bluetooth that uses the PS4 gamepad.

If you find a bluetooth low energy gamepad it is possible to modify the firmware to pair with it, thought it is non trivial and will required a debug SWD adapter to connect to the nRF51. This is because the bluetooth stack flashed from factory in the nrf51 only supports peripheral mode and you will need one that supports host mode.

We are currently working on an arduino-compatible radio gamepad but it is still very much work in progress.
kenjichanhkg
Beginner

Post by kenjichanhkg »

Thanks for the info Arnaud!

Oh, I saw a presentation in 2013. You use an android tablet with crazyradio plugged, that can control the copter.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Yes, if you manage to pair your PS4 controller with your android phone (it should be possible but last time I tried it did not work :( ), you can use it to control the Crazyflie using the andoid client. And with a Crazyradio you you have even less latency which makes it easier to fly.