4WD Cracyflie

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
atrawog
Beginner

4WD Cracyflie

Post by atrawog »

I'm currently looking for a small Quadcopter for my son that isn't as dangerous to fly as my large ArduPilot based Hexacopter. The Cracyflie perfectly fits all the requirements, but after reading all the specs I'm wondering why nobody has tried to turn a Cracyflie into a 4WD remote controlled car? You can do that with ArduPilot and it could be a neat mod for a Cracyflie too.
derf
Expert

Re: 4WD Cracyflie

Post by derf »

arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

This actually gave me an idea: it should be possible to print horizontal motor mounts and wheels so that we get 2 motors going forward and 2 motors going backwards (there is no H-Bridges on the Crazyflie so we cannot drive motors on both direction). In theory this would make it possible to make a small car out of the Crazyflie ....

I think I will look at that and update here if it works.
atrawog
Beginner

Post by atrawog »

arnaud wrote: it should be possible to print horizontal motor mounts and wheels so that we get 2 motors going forward and 2 motors going backwards (there is no H-Bridges on the Crazyflie so we cannot drive motors on both direction). In theory this would make it possible to make a small car out of the Crazyflie ....
That would be great. I plan to buy a Crazyflie for my son as a Christmas present. He loves to take my large Hexacopter apart, but my Hexacopter is way to complicated and dangerous to let him tinker with it alone.
chad
Expert

Post by chad »

arnaud wrote:This actually gave me an idea: it should be possible to print horizontal motor mounts and wheels so that we get 2 motors going forward and 2 motors going backwards (there is no H-Bridges on the Crazyflie so we cannot drive motors on both direction). In theory this would make it possible to make a small car out of the Crazyflie ....

I think I will look at that and update here if it works.
Seriously, I love flying my Crazyflie, but driving it would be really fun too! Actually, it would be really, really cool. If you could easily re-purpose a CF2 into a mini-RC car, that would make the CF2 dev kit even more fun!! Of course, it would be just a little side-project for you guys. A fun hack for kicks but I think definitely has some potential. :) Boy, this has my mind reeling now. Just like the CF2 can be a base for a larger quad, it might even make a cool base for a car or truck... Hmmmm...
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

this has my mind reeling now. Just like the CF2 can be a base for a larger quad, it might even make a cool base for a car or truck
That's the spirit ;-).

We have this thing at Bitcraze: on Friday we try to work on different fun stuff not necessarily related to current work. The CF2 car has been scheduled for a fun-Friday for a while but with the local positioning and the new deck there has not been much time left ... I still have it on my todo list though :).