reinforcing the arms

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
Flare09
Beginner

reinforcing the arms

Post by Flare09 »

so i had an idea for reinforcing the board and arms...if you could make the two sides of the board single sided, single boards and have pins that can be soldered between the boards as vias, and add a piece of sheet aluminum in between the boards and fix it to the boards. or if you wanted to get fancy, titanium is light enough. but my idea was to put alot of holes and open space between the boards, maybe just under the ICs and motor drivers for better thermal dissipation (which would also allow for brushless drivers) and have the bulk of reinforcement on the arms and motor mounts, and this would possibly allow for 'bumpers' around the motors, built into the frame. essentially a cost effective aluminum core board.

if you guys would just release the gerber files for the boards shape and holes.......................... ;)

i could maybe start milling :D
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: reinforcing the arms

Post by tobias »

All ideas are very welcome!
You should also keep in mind that there must be some elasticity in the design to prevent the electronics from breaking during crashes.
The e-cad will be released as soon as we have done the last cleanup. There are just so much to do right now and it has not been prioritized.

Will the PCB outline be enough to start with? There is a DXF of it in the repo
I think the scale was wrong and the board should be 80mm tip to tip.
Flare09
Beginner

Post by Flare09 »

The pins linking the two sides of the board would allow movement, and to cut down weight and add movement, super small neoprene bolts could be used to hold everything together. Plus the metal would serve as a frame to take the bulk of any shock.

And there are vias between the boards that I would have to see to add the holes. I can use the outline but, there are no holes, or vias shown. And I could go off the parts placement for the extra thermal dissipation.
I also had an option for connecting the motors with a quick connect.
Here --> http://www.microflight.com/Online-Catal ... 0-051-27mm

It might require adjusting the distance between the motor holes.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Those connectors should actually work as the holes are 1.27mm apart and 0.6mm in diameter.
bstott
Beginner

Post by bstott »

In another thread Tobias mentions using fishing line. I'd suggest simply wrapping the arm in a layer of fishing line. A thin coating of CA (Super/Crazy glue) and then a crash would destroy the sensors, props, motors and what you hit before the arms break. I think? :?
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

I was actually thinking of something similar to the attached picture. It will prevent the PCB arms from bending to much to the sides during side impacts. The fishing line still allows some flexing which is good as well. The fishing line could be tied around the motor mounts as well which might be easier to do. I haven't tested/verified it yet but at least in my head it should work :D.
Attachments
Frame strengthen by fishing line.JPG
Frame strengthen by fishing line.JPG (305.76 KiB) Viewed 6295 times