Impossible to flight: it's me or my CF is broken?

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
husk
Beginner

Impossible to flight: it's me or my CF is broken?

Post by husk »

Hi Forum, this is my first post and I'm totally new to CF
Yesterday I finally got my hands on a CF 2.0 and after building it I tryed to make it fly. Every thing was very easy but I can't still perform a decent fly. My problem is that my CF tend to fly to one side and not in a vertical line from gound to the roof. I tryed both android client and ps1 attached with radio PA cand CF python client. This morning I have been trying with pure python code directly. Still same result.
I checked the propellers and they are balanced. I also moved the battery to find the right (balanced) position (however it moves a lot during my unstable flight).
I not sure how to proceed. I start to think my CF came to me broken....(even if I get 5 blink with the green led at boot)

What Can I do? Help is needed and higthy apreciated.
thanks in advance
cheers
husk
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Impossible to flight: it's me or my CF is broken?

Post by tobias »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

It sounds like the accelerometer might be off. If you have a look at the pitch and roll figures in the cfclient flight tab when you put the CF2 on a level surface are they close to zero?

If they aren't you can try to trim them by writing down the values when the CF2 is level and inputting them in the configuration dialog. Restart the CF2 and the pitch/roll values should now be close to zero when you connect to it.
husk
Beginner

Post by husk »

Hi Tobias, and thanks for your reply and this incredible product!

Actually when I put CF in a plane surface my pitch and roll values are more than zero (-2,20 and -0,40).
In my version of CFClient I don't have the configuration dialog but I can trim pitch and roll from basic flitgh control in Flitgh Control Tab. I guess is the place, right?
I tryed putting 2,20 fro pitch and 0,40 for roll (the opposite from the values I get from CF) but still same result as before.

I look forward to solve that and enjoy my flights :)

husk
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

I don't think -2.2 and -0.40 is much of an error so then it is most likely mechanical. It could be that one of the motors isn't working as it should.

If you from a level and soft surface, like a carpet, max the trust for a short while so it flies up about a meter into the air and then fall down. Check if it is going straight up . Because of this short burst the stabilization system won't have time to react so you will see mainly the behavior of the mechanical part. If it doesn't go straight up then there is an imbalance or probably a motor/prop which isn't good.
husk
Beginner

Post by husk »

tobias wrote:I don't think -2.2 and -0.40 is much of an error so then it is most likely mechanical. It could be that one of the motors isn't working as it should.

If you from a level and soft surface, like a carpet, max the trust for a short while so it flies up about a meter into the air and then fall down. Check if it is going straight up . Because of this short burst the stabilization system won't have time to react so you will see mainly the behavior of the mechanical part. If it doesn't go straight up then there is an imbalance or probably a motor/prop which isn't good.
In this video you can see the result of the test: cfclient+playstation1 gamepad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXy2ztrTV9o

Here every thing seems ok.

I also tryed by using python api and the ramp.py example and this is the result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcKMZbpWr_w
NOTE: in my case I had to change thrust value up to 40000 in order to make CF fly a bit over the ground (as you can see in the video)
This code is suposed to make CF flight straigh up and come back down but you can see that is not what happen.

I'm very new to this and I don't know how to debug and understand these kind of problems.
One motor/prop seems stronger than others pushing CF to one specific direction. What do you think?

thanks a lot.
husk
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

It look quite OK to me.
When it flies close to the ground turbulence will make it fly away. It needs to come up at least half a meter to get away from the turbulence. Then as it does not have any position control it will drift away slowly due to air movement and sensor reading errors. The sensor reading errors can be improved by balancing the propellers well and also trimming away the accelerometer offset as I described before. However it will eventually drift away.
husk
Beginner

Post by husk »

tobias wrote:It look quite OK to me.
When it flies close to the ground turbulence will make it fly away. It needs to come up at least half a meter to get away from the turbulence. Then as it does not have any position control it will drift away slowly due to air movement and sensor reading errors. The sensor reading errors can be improved by balancing the propellers well and also trimming away the accelerometer offset as I described before. However it will eventually drift away.
Ok, I'm learnig to control it and fly better. Now it's time to add external tracking system in order to perfect and atomatize the flight
Thanks you so much

husk
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

That is great!
Now it's time to add external tracking system in order to perfect and atomatize the flight
Make sure to update us about the progress! :)