Update firmware and connect fail

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
tzulan611126
Beginner

Update firmware and connect fail

Post by tzulan611126 »

I try the firmware update process on my CF and my client can never connect to to my CF again.
I update the firmware version cflie-2013.4. The update seems to be successful except I check the box "Verify flash".
Do you have any idea?

Johnson
atomicdog
Expert

Re: Update firmware and connect fail

Post by atomicdog »

Did you use ... ?

Code: Select all

make CLOAD=1 DEBUG=0
6-DOF CF | wireless xbox 360 controller
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

Hi Johnson,

Did you download the binary you are trying to flash from our Bitbucket or did you build it yourself?

/Marcus
tzulan611126
Beginner

Post by tzulan611126 »

I tested on both binary (cflie-2013.4.bin) and self-build(hg pull && hg update -C 2013.4 && make CLOAD=1 DEBUG=0).
Both of them can't connect to client. Finally, I restore firmware back to cflie_ProductionV2.bin and CF can back to normal again.
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

tzulan611126 wrote:I tested on both binary (cflie-2013.4.bin) and self-build(hg pull && hg update -C 2013.4 && make CLOAD=1 DEBUG=0).
Both of them can't connect to client. Finally, I restore firmware back to cflie_ProductionV2.bin and CF can back to normal again.
When you say that the Crazyflie cannot be connected do you mean that it doesn't show up when scanning or that when you connect to it that doesn't work?

There's a bug (documented here) that might hang the Crazyradio after you have bootloaded and flashed new firmware to the Crazyflie.

Could you try to bootload and flash the cflie-2013.4.bin (you don't need to use "Verify"). After that has been done then close the client, take out/insert the Crazyradio and restart the client. Can you find the Crazyflie and connect now?

/Marcus
mrb0y
Beginner

Post by mrb0y »

I'm fearful of uploading a change that was built locally. Is there something in place that will keep a bad compile from bricking the crazyflie?
TheFrog4u
Expert

Post by TheFrog4u »

yes, the bootloader should not be able to overwrite itself, so normaly you should always be able to flash a working binary.. but better one of the bitcraze team members confirms that :)
@tzulan611126: Did you solve you issue with flashing the new firmware?
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

mrb0y wrote:I'm fearful of uploading a change that was built locally. Is there something in place that will keep a bad compile from bricking the crazyflie?
You can't brick the Crazyflie just updating the firmware since the bootloader will not allow overwriting of the pages that it's in.

/Marcus
tzulan611126
Beginner

Post by tzulan611126 »

Yes, this problem was solved. I re-plugin the crazyradio several times after firmware update and crazyflie was connected.