My power cable is failing

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
akbarhash
Beginner

My power cable is failing

Post by akbarhash »

Hi. Maybe this is an isolated problem but my power cable keeps failing. I had the original one go some time back. Then I soldered it back horizontally but that too failed twice. Now I have gotten new walkera cables, with I will admit a smaller gauge wire, but this time i soldered it correctly by sending the cable through the holes. this too failed in a short period of time.
I am using the crazyflie a lot, to do some testing but the cables are causing me frustration. Does anyone have any suggestion. The last thing I can think of is to install some right angle pins then attach the wires there as I am afraid I might do damage to the crazyflie if this keeps going on.
chad
Expert

Re: My power cable is failing

Post by chad »

What do you mean by "failing?" Is the solder joint breaking or is the cable coming apart? If the solder is breaking, are sure you're getting a good solder joint? The solder is pretty much 100% of the mechanical force holding the cable so it can't be a cold joint...

I mount my battery in a reverse position to take up some of the slack in the cable. It also reduces the stress on the solder joints. Maybe this will help you?
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.
akbarhash
Beginner

Re: My power cable is failing

Post by akbarhash »

The cable is coming apart at the solder joint. I feel there needs to be some reinforcement at this point apart from the solder.