Is the crazyflie control board considered a microcontroller

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
mjobe
Beginner

Is the crazyflie control board considered a microcontroller

Post by mjobe »

I am currently doing a project for school and we are told that we must use a micro controller that ends up controlling some external hardware, now i know the crazyflie is controlling the motors which counts as external hardware but is it a micro controller? My second question is i want to purchase the kit so i can assembly it myself however I saw that you can use an expansion board so you need not solder and also i plan on not buying a remote its possible to control the crazyflie via my iPhone correct? I would appreciate it if someone could answer my questions. Thank you in advance :D
chad
Expert

Re: Is the crazyflie control board considered a microcontrol

Post by chad »

Hi,
mjobe wrote:[...] but is it a micro controller?
The Crazyflie's MCU is an STM32 chip (STM32F405) which is most certainly a micro controller.
mjobe wrote:possible to control the crazyflie via my iPhone
You can control it over Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) using the iPhone. It is certainly not as easy to learn to fly a nano-quad with an iPhone as it is with a controller (lack of tactile feedback being one of the issues). If you can, you might want to get the Crazyradio PA and find a used PS3 controller to fly it. It is much easier to control and much more fun with a controller. That said, it is definitely flyable with an iPhone. I use the iPhone app a lot.
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.