CF2.0 safe landing on lost connection?

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
nimble
Beginner

CF2.0 safe landing on lost connection?

Post by nimble »

I have a few CF2.0 and just last night I broke off one of the legs from falling out of the sky.

I have another forum post about the poor range with CR PA, but this one is specifically about quad recovery.

It seems that the radio link can be disconnected for unknown reasons, even with plenty of battery, and at short ranges. At this point I'm suspicious that it relates to constant current supply when the battery is older and put under load - the radio seems to suffer.

Anyway - is there a 'mode' on the quad to have it switch to stable, low-power descent, rather than just 'turning off' when connection is lost? I've seen a 'drop and landing detection' feature someone implemented - however it doesn't even need to be that complex - just an 'apply 25% power until I regain connection' - that should be enough to slow the descent and keep it level without climbing. You don't want it to fly away, but equally don't want it falling out of the sky and breaking.

Thoughts / pointers?
poizone

Re: CF2.0 safe landing on lost connection?

Post by poizone »

There is no mode implemented for this. The current "Lost Connection" failsafe is to cut thrust to prevent loss of the quad. With an open firmware, you're always free to try and implement a stabilized descent on connection loss though!
One day our flies will drown out the sun in an autonomous Skynet of whirring motors and blinking lights.