Android accelerometer joystick

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
greggius
Beginner

Android accelerometer joystick

Post by greggius »

I found an android app which can be used as joystick game pad to control the Crazyflie with the phones accelerometers.

DroidMote android app here
and PC server here
You need to register on the forum to download the server.

I installed the server on windows; and once the drivers have been installed, it picks it as like any other game controller.
Follow the readme when installing the server because driver signing needs to be disabled.
I used the accelerometers for pitch and roll, and the onscreen joysticks for thrust and yaw.

There is a linux server too which will hopefully work with the raspberry pi. Will give it go tomorrow.
marcus
Bitcraze

Re: Android accelerometer joystick

Post by marcus »

Good tip! Did you try flying the Crazyflie with it yet? If so, how is the flight performance when using the accelerometers?

/Marcus
greggius
Beginner

Post by greggius »

Yep, sure did. Flight performance with accelerometers is pretty good; I find it just a little bit harder than using an xbox controller, although I probably just need more practice.
I also find that it’s easier to spin out of control; need to remember to keep my hand steady.

I might try upload a video in the next few days.
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

Sounds good. When I have the time I'll give the Linux version a try.
Surrender
Expert

Post by Surrender »

My first try was a cheap PS-Controller, but i was not able to fly my crazyflie. So i found your post here and i like it.

This is a great app to control my crazyflie without any cable - so i can move around free (follow the fly :D).
It is very accurate, i'm using it without the accelerometers.