Crazyflie 2.0 3D Printed Cage

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
zehandroid
Beginner

Crazyflie 2.0 3D Printed Cage

Post by zehandroid »

Hey guys,

I have seen a lot of Crazyflie 3D printed cages at http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=crazyflie&sa=. Unfortunately, there is none out yet for Crazyflie 2.0.

I also have tried printing a few of them, to see if I can manage to work them with Crazyflie 2.0, but unfortunately they are off a bit. I use the 3D printer at my University, and the prints aren't coming out great as well, and I am unable to do trial and error since they charge me each time.

So, can someone please make a cage, as I am crashing my Crazyflie 2.0 a lot, and concerned about irreparable damage?

Thanks.
chad
Expert

Re: Crazyflie 2.0 3D Printed Cage

Post by chad »

This blade guard fits the Crazyflie. It's cheap and semi-easy to install and remove. It adds a little weight and makes the Crazyflie seem more stable. I wrote a little about it in my Crazyflie journal. Try it out, it might help you.
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.
zehandroid
Beginner

Post by zehandroid »

Thanks, Chad.

I placed one on order, but unfortunately it is taking quite awhile to reach from China.
I should have waited awhile because I took my Crazyflie out for a roll and then this happened - http://i.imgur.com/yLE9BZp.jpg?1

I was flying on grass, and the Crazyflie fell from a 2nd storey height. The force to break this must have come from downwards, I guess.
I want to know how will the Crazyflie withstand a damage like this with the guard you suggested?
chad
Expert

Post by chad »

Hi! The guard won't really help a break like that. Those motor mounts are made to break away in a more violent crash to absorb impact so the PCB airframe arm doesn't snap. Sometimes, if you hit them just right, they'll break on a softer crash.

The blade gaurds mostly protect the blades (and objects, people, pets, etc...) from side impact damage (or cuts on skin). It might be worthwhile to get a pack or two of replacement motor mounts. I think they're about $5USD for five. I've broken a couple myself (mostly due to my bad piloting).
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.