LED ring expansion board

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
sean86114
Beginner

LED ring expansion board

Post by sean86114 »

Hi all,
I am very happy of receiving my cf2 today. I got it with the led expansion board but can't figure out how to turn "on" the 2 front leds. By the way I don't have the crazyradio because is in back order; therefore, I can't connect through PC client. So I have been only using through Bluetooth Le.
chad
Expert

Re: LED ring expansion board

Post by chad »

Unless you want to compile the Crazyflie 2.0 firmware to default the headlights to "always on" you need cfclient (and a Crazyradio) to turn them on and off.

Once you have the Crazyradio, you might want to read this thread entry about using a controller to change LED things.
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.
sean86114
Beginner

Post by sean86114 »

thanks Chad, crazyradio is on its way, using my android device is extremely hard to control the drone (just broke one landing leg within the 3hrs that I received the drone)
rebit

Post by rebit »

I broke one leg too. And i agree i cant control cf2 with radio too, i dont know if is settings or the product have problems in the project.
chad
Expert

Post by chad »

sean86114 wrote:thanks Chad, crazyradio is on its way, using my android device is extremely hard to control the drone (just broke one landing leg within the 3hrs that I received the drone)
You're welcome! The Crazyradio and a good controller (PS3 or Xbox) make learning to fly a lot easier. The mobile clients are a steeper learning curve and might be easier to handle once you've learned the flight characteristics of the Crazyflie (nano-quads are a different game than full size quads - they're more susceptible to atmospheric conditions among other things). The secrets to control when you're first starting out is to disable yaw and use very subtle thumb movements (except when taking off - you want moderate thrust and no pitch/roll/yaw to take off).

The motor mounts on the CF2.0 are a little brittle. They're partly designed that way to absorb impact so you don't break the airframe (PCB) on an impact. It's much cheaper to break a $1USD motor mount than the whole PCB!
sean86114
Beginner

Post by sean86114 »

thanks Chad for the advise again, I only have a PS4 controller would it work? (You have only mentioned PS3/Xbox)
Your are right definitely controlling this crazyflie 2.0 is harder than my DJI Phantom 2.
chad
Expert

Post by chad »

Yes! PS4 controllers work.