Greetings from Sunny Miami

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
DataBoy
Beginner

Greetings from Sunny Miami

Post by DataBoy »

We received our two CF 2.0's in plenty of time for Christmas (how DID you manage that hectic schedule?!!) and I to say that my back is crooked and my leg's gone to sleep because I've been pouring over all things Crazyflie since Xmas morning.

Awesome product, wicked-complicated, even for an elder-geek like me. But by reading forum posts, and pushing forward, we did our first client mods yesterday. The headlight Alt2 code in dev (had to press the button to turn off the headlight, rather than on...big success for me!)

We had to balance almost all the props (and it makes a huge difference to flight stability, amazing), and there's a wicked bug on low-battery that occasionally sends it rocketing towards outer space. Fortunately we're working indoors, and the ceiling can bear the brunt, but we've gone through 3 motor mounts and one prop due to blunt-force injury... The dogs remain very suspicious, and the cat hasn't been seen in days!

I just wanted to join the group here (I'm Dan and my son Will [15] is in the wings), and to tell you all that we've enjoyed this immensely, and will be hoping to contribute such minor assistance as we're able.

Congratulations on what I presume was an outstanding product "Launch" (heh heh) and we'll be looking to buy peripherals (FPV?!) and spare parts (mounts are dropping like flies, order a couple dozen for me) for a long time to come.
chad
Expert

Re: Greetings from Sunny Miami

Post by chad »

Hello! Great intro. I thoroughly enjoyed it (puns and all). :D
DataBoy wrote:there's a wicked bug on low-battery that occasionally sends it rocketing towards outer space
Yikes! I fortunately have not encountered anything like that yet.
DataBoy wrote:we'll be looking to buy peripherals (FPV?!)
How about this...?

1.0g NTSC Camera $54.00
1.5g Wide angle lens $14.90
2.5g 5V 5.8GHz TX module $17.00 (maybe should get the 3V one instead?)
?.?g 3-way DIP switch $0.39 (there's got to be a better option than this...)
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.
mlundh
Beginner

Post by mlundh »

Yeah, I agree, it is an awesome little machine! So much fun flying, and with little to no damage when crashing, at least compared to my big quad! :)

I have not yet encountered any low-battery related bugs (it has dropped out of the air, but that is to be expected!) but I have encountered something that has the same symptom as you are describing; full throttle into something hard. I noticed that running on a mac, the Generic_OS_X mapping for the PS3 controller has R1 mapped to full throttle for some reason. The way i hold the controller it is very easy to accidentally press that button, sending the CrazyFlie soaring! Took me a couple of flights before i realized what was going on...

Might be completely unrelated, but could be worth checking.
DataBoy
Beginner

Post by DataBoy »

mlundh wrote: the Generic_OS_X mapping for the PS3 controller has R1 mapped to full throttle for some reason. The way i hold the controller it is very easy to accidentally press that button, sending the CrazyFlie soaring! Took me a couple of flights before i realized what was going on...Might be completely unrelated, but could be worth checking.
I think you're onto something there. I've been fiddling with the controller settings, and I'm not sure a var is not getting squashed or something, on occasion, reverting me to another controller setup internally. I've been focusing on trying to get bug-stability with a given sequence of events from reset, but this one's elusive!

Thanks for the G2
DataBoy
Beginner

Post by DataBoy »

Thanks for that. I"ve been peering at those little cameras, and doubt they'll get much lighter in the immediate future. I'm wondering if there's any hope of doing it digital one day, and exploiting some of that Crazyradio bandwidth, perhaps for a reduce frame rate or some such.

I guess the heavy lifting, so to speak, is in the A/D (or I guess use CCD) and the need for something like (carry the six...round up...) a touch under 400 Kbytes/frame raw, and maybe compress that to a dull roar with some microlight DSP yet to be invented. Sounds like a grad school degree to me!
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

DataBoy wrote:We received our two CF 2.0's in plenty of time for Christmas (how DID you manage that hectic schedule?!!) and I to say that my back is crooked and my leg's gone to sleep because I've been pouring over all things Crazyflie since Xmas morning.
Glad to hear that you got it in time :D The schedule was pretty tight, so it was a hectic November/December here at Bitcraze to keep it together. Seeedstudio should also get some credit for a giving us lots of support.
DataBoy wrote:We had to balance almost all the props (and it makes a huge difference to flight stability, amazing), and there's a wicked bug on low-battery that occasionally sends it rocketing towards outer space. Fortunately we're working indoors, and the ceiling can bear the brunt, but we've gone through 3 motor mounts and one prop due to blunt-force injury... The dogs remain very suspicious, and the cat hasn't been seen in days!
We haven't seen this one, so if you have any more information about it add an issue on GitHub and we will investigate/fix it. I would guess it's something on the client side.
DataBoy wrote:I just wanted to join the group here (I'm Dan and my son Will [15] is in the wings), and to tell you all that we've enjoyed this immensely, and will be hoping to contribute such minor assistance as we're able.
Glad to have you on board :D
DataBoy wrote:Congratulations on what I presume was an outstanding product "Launch" (heh heh) and we'll be looking to buy peripherals (FPV?!) and spare parts (mounts are dropping like flies, order a couple dozen for me) for a long time to come.
Thanks! We are planning some more expansions (more info here) and will start looking at that when things calm down after the launch.