Housing for the Crazyradio Dongle

Discussions and questions about the Crazyradio
foosel
Expert

Re: Housing for the Crazyradio Dongle

Post by foosel »

bstott wrote:The deflectors need to be stronger? Wow, ---- You one Crazyflier! ;) I think, from the looks of the deflector it would take a lot of 'Bang!' to break. ABS and PLA are pretty tough.
The problem isn't that they break but that the model by VGer is only something around 0.4mm high, and at this thickness even PLA is bendable. I mounted the version I printed on my Crazyflie and when I intentionally hit a wall at a hearty speed the frame just bend down, so no protection there. Maybe if using ABS it would perform differently, I don't know...
DesTinY wrote:very cool CF mods.
Just for the record, only the radio case is from me :)
Maybe you can use the holes are at the edges of the CF to keep hold of the frame, too.
Is it possible to order CF mods from you in the future? :D
I thought about that too, the holes are very small though, so I have to think about something, as I fear I won't be able to print something stable this small. As long as it doesn't get too much I'd be fine with printing some gear for fellow Crazyflie pilots :) I see you are in located in Germany too. If you want you can shoot me a PM and we can work something out :)
Also: AR.Drone 2.0 (RC-enabled thanks to self-soldered MiruMod) and Hubsan X4 H107
VGer
Beginner

Post by VGer »

Hi everybody,
The frame thickness is about .6mm, it can be made thicker and stiffer at the expense of weight, increasing the flie inertia and reducing flight time. The frame represents a compromise between weight and protection as you can make a frame as thick and heavier as possible and still hit a wall hard enough to break the frame and/or the quad.

I am going to release the frame version 1.6 in http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:84169 later today and given the feedback I might include a thicker version.
Early today foosel and Mark Moissette (ckaos) gave me an idea of how to address the impacted bearings issue that some people are experiencing that might be included in v1.7 frame incarnation.

Thanks for your feedback.

VGer
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

That looks great VGer! If it's possible to protect the motor bearings as well that's even better.

/Marcus
VGer
Beginner

Post by VGer »

Marcus have you seen this?
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:85640

By the way the frame v1.6.5 weights 3.3g.

VGer
Last edited by VGer on Wed May 08, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foosel
Expert

Post by foosel »

VGer wrote:By the way the frame v1.6.5 wheights 3.3g.
And rocks hard!

(Haven't yet tried putting the LiPo between PCB and frame for a lower center of gravity, but I love that it's possible)
Also: AR.Drone 2.0 (RC-enabled thanks to self-soldered MiruMod) and Hubsan X4 H107
bstott
Beginner

Post by bstott »

tobias wrote:I now see it is time for me to get a 3D printer :) . Any suggestions?
Tobias - I thought since you were going to have printed motor mounts you had a printer?

I've older machines but, my drool machines would be the under publicized Nophead Mendel 90 or the MakerGear M2. And if you were able to stay with a viable pioneer creating the revolution then go for Makerbot Replicator. Mine are a Makerbot Thing-O-Matic and a self made Rostock and a B9 Creator. The B9 Creator is very Cool but, the resin is not worthy of prototype mechanical uses. Yet. Unless, you want it to consume your life - Do Not Build !!! It is fun but, is consuming, addicting and all --- Did I say consuming?

Brian.
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

bstott wrote: Tobias - I thought since you were going to have printed motor mounts you had a printer?
Unfortunately not :( Money has been pretty tight for this project but hopefully we will have a chance to get one now. We have been ordering all our printed parts at Shapeways for our prototypes. The quality has been very good but they are a bit pricey and takes about 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for the tips on 3D printers!

/Marcus
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

VGer wrote:Marcus have you seen this?
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:85640

By the way the frame v1.6.5 weights 3.3g.

VGer
Nice work! No, I missed the printed washer before. Even if it's simple it will definitely help protect the bearing.

/Marcus
DesTinY

Post by DesTinY »

THANK YOU GINA!
Fits perfectly!

With best regards,
Sascha
foosel
Expert

Post by foosel »

DesTinY wrote:THANK YOU GINA!
Hehehe, you are welcome :)