Is CrazyRadio the right tool for control tuning

Discussions and questions about the Crazyradio
Rethipher
Beginner

Is CrazyRadio the right tool for control tuning

Post by Rethipher »

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a CrazyFlie 2.1, and I want to use it to develop my own high level control algorithms for the quadcopter to control it's flight. So, not motor control level, but the level above that which controls angular velocity, position, thrust, etc.

My question is this, for tuning purposes, and receiving sending data to the drone, is the CrazyRadio the right device for this? I want to be able to tune and calibrate my quadcopter in real-time and send info back and forth between it and my computer to plot what it's doing in regards to the controls. Is that something that is possible with this?

I don't really want to spend a ton of time developing my own protocols, algorithms, etc, to communicate. But, if I have to do that because something isn't available already written I will do it. It's just not my preferred avenue, since my interest is only in the controls, and real-time plotting telemetry.

So, do any of you have experience with this, and can answer this question. Is the CrazyRadio the right guy for the job?

Thanks for sticking with me if you've read this far! I'm super stoked to start doing some work on this fun little project.
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Is CrazyRadio the right tool for control tuning

Post by tobias »

Quick answer, yes the Crazyradio is the right tool for that. With it you can use the parameter and logging framework. With this you can quite easily monitor/log variables and change them.
Rethipher
Beginner

Re: Is CrazyRadio the right tool for control tuning

Post by Rethipher »

Thank for linking to that. This is exactly what I was looking for. I started to try to build my own real-time graphics frame work a few weeks ago, but it proved to be way too much work for what I was interested in doing.