CrazyRadio not able to Connect to Scan for crazyflie

Discussions and questions about the Crazyradio
Dinesh Kumar
Beginner

CrazyRadio not able to Connect to Scan for crazyflie

Post by Dinesh Kumar »

Hi,

i've crazyradio and crazyflie v1. i was able to connect to crazyflie with the crazyradio usb dongle for few days, i was playing with the values of

Code: Select all

commander.send_command(...) # parameters to fly 
But then i was unable to see device while scanning.

i couldn't segregate the issue. so i thought i'll flash crazyradio and test, then go with crazyflie.
while trying to flash the crazyradio, It throwed error saying it couldn't find the crazyradio usb dongle.

i've also tried

from cflib.cflib.drivers.crazyradio import Crazyradio
  cr = Crazyradio()

File "cflib/drivers/crazyradio.py", line 113, in __init__
    raise Exception("Cannot find a Crazyradio Dongle")
Exception: Cannot find a Crazyradio Dongle

I've also tried

import usb.core
dev = usb.core.find()
this doesn't gives any new device id than the default one (05ac:0262 on Bus 029 Address 004) when i connect with crazyradio.
but gives some id and changes port for some other devices.

* I am not sure whether i've exceeded some range it would've corrupted the firmware! (i doubt it though)
* I am not sure whether the hardware become faulty.
* When i connect the light green and red blinks togeter few times!! so its getting power from the connection.

1. Is it possible to flash it with other means? (I need to check connection first!)
2. Any other way to test whether device working properly?
3. Any other mechanism so that i can connect to crazyflie directly? (eg. i think it have BLE nordic semiconductor)

Thanks for any help.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: CrazyRadio not able to Connect to Scan for crazyflie

Post by arnaud »

Hi,

It is not possible to brick Crazyradio just by sending bad commands, the firmware does not have the capabilitie to reprogram the flash (well except for the setup command that launches the bootloader and then the bootloader commands, but you have to do that on purpose, it can hardly be done by accident).

If the LED are lit at startup it is good sign: it means that the device starts. However it should just blink once (ie. be lit upon insertion and go off when the USB link is enumerated by your PC).

If you are on Linux can you check the ouput of the dmesg command? The fact that it blinks when inserted can be caused by a faulty USB port.

As for your questions:
1. The other mean is to flash with SPI. I have made a program doing that with an FTDI jtag addapter. It is called nrfprog and is in the crazyradio-firmware repo. It is a bit artisanal thought: the code has to be addapted for the pinout of the ftdi jtag addapter (it was made to work with an amontec JTAG-Key but I have tested it with a BusBlaster).
2. On Linux the "dmesg" and "lsusb" output after plugging the Crazyradio would be useful to debug.
3. We can communicate with Crazyflie 2.0 with Crazyradio, Bluetooth and USB. Crazyflie 1 does not have USB implemented yet but it is possible (https://github.com/bitcraze/crazyflie-f ... /issues/49). For the BLE I do not know what you want to do with it, if you are thinking of attaching an nRF52 to the Crazyflie 1, compiling Syslink and running it with BLE it is a really cool idea! but a bit hard hardware-wise.
adjavaherian
Beginner

Post by adjavaherian »

also, if you're comfortable with node.js you can check your radio running the tests here: https://github.com/adjavaherian/crazyradio-node-driver. all tests should pass with dongle plugged in.
Dinesh Kumar
Beginner

Post by Dinesh Kumar »

nodejs package have other errors! so didn't help.

I bought a new crazyradio and now it works! i am so happy :D
ByteCraze
Beginner

Post by ByteCraze »

Hi,

I am also having some issue setting up my crazyflie radio. I am running ubuntu. When i plug in the radio, it initially blinks red and green and then stops, but then the radio isn't recognized by either the VM or the host machine. Are their extra steps before the USB setup not listed in the tutorial?

Thanks
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Both for the virtual machine and the client there could be a problem of right.

For the client you should add the radio to an udev rule: https://github.com/bitcraze/crazyflie-c ... ermissions

For the virtual machine your user should be in the 'vboxusers' group to be able to add a USB device to the VM.

To debug if the radio is well detected you can type "dmesg" in a console just after plugging the Crazyradio. In my computer I get:

[49998.793993] usb 1-2: new full-speed USB device number 13 using xhci_hcd
[49998.924268] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=1915, idProduct=7777
[49998.924289] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=29
[49998.924292] usb 1-2: Product: Crazyradio PA USB Dongle
[49998.924294] usb 1-2: Manufacturer: Bitcraze
which means that the Crazyradio is working well.